People in progress
Rebecca Meredith's art is about exploring a wide field of narrative possibility. The work supports ambiguity and deprives the viewer of concrete resolutions, thus making them detectives navigating a surreal landscape. The viewer is unsettled and captivated by the intense push and pull as they seek something that rings true to their own experience. From the frisson of disorientation, possibilities open.
Rebecca Meredith develops one to two dozen paintings simultaneously, creating individual works that, when displayed together, contribute distinct phrases to a dynamic whole. There is both a quest for the essential in working out questions of the world as a whole, without claiming an apopdictic message. Instead, she uses the technique of ellipsis, or the art of condensation, to describe the complexity of human existence in the modern world while remaining hypothethic, intuitive and playful.
Like meditation, the work is a place in between places and draws you inwards, hovering poetically between abstraction and figuration. Atmosphere and subject are mixed, fusing the found emotion with a poetic evocation of memory. There are expansive abstract passages that recall both the physicality of abstract expressionism and the mystery of dreams. Personal experience is evoked as well as the emotive power of picture making. As the painter's presence is emphasized through the construction of the work, and the viewer is enveloped in the emotional field associated with the work's creation, the viewer is urged toward an active relationship with the visual world. The paintings are an exploration of identity rather than a tool for telling a story, a personal journey rather than a technique for graphic documentation.
Viewers linger as textures and forms emerge, evoking a sense of place but often leading to inner spaces and otherworldly realms. They invite close attention to the canvases' physical properties, the shifting chromatic planes, the layers that accrete and intersect. There are interruptions and blockages, borders that divide, and foreground and background become one. Looking is revealed as a challenging, creative act that rearranges how reality is perceived, one that raises more questions than answers.
There is a lot left open-ended in these drawings, and there is a lot of white space so that you can discover potential ideas.
This purposefully laid trigger to the brain, provoking you to "fill in the blanks" in terms the closure principle in neuroscience.
Use PARADE as a place to try out ideas, experiment, and play.
Find a story, feel the shapes, let your hand do the thinking, and take a fresh page when you need a breath.
Submit your drawing to display in a group show at
a creative workbook
- going going GONESun, Oct 202508 Woolsey StOct 20, 2019, 12:00 PM – 12:05 PM2508 Woolsey St, 2508 Woolsey St, Berkeley, CA 94705, USAWe will take you in our hearts Empty House Studio Sale Celebrate Rick and Ann's Finger Foods Sunday, October 20th, 12-4 2508 Woolsey Street, Berkeley CA Bring your dream destinations as inspiration Future Adventure: Homebase Copenhagen and traveling
- Liminal Spaces as Rites of PassageSun, Aug 26Abrams Claghorn GalleryAug 26, 2018, 10:15 AM – 1:00 PMAbrams Claghorn Gallery, 1251 Solano Ave, Albany, CA 94706, USAUsing Polaroids for reference, partners coupled during class will photograph themselves with whole body movement and fabric in motion to describe ourselves in a transition in our lives as they are right now. Cutout, colored paper, and collage will complete our images of this transition.
- Visualizing our RelationshipsSun, Aug 19Abrams Claghorn GalleryAug 19, 2018, 10:15 AM – 1:00 PMAbrams Claghorn Gallery, 1251 Solano Ave, Albany, CA 94706, USAWhat do the different people in your life make you feel? We will explore our senses as they describe a few magnetic relationships in our lives. Using symbol, texture, collage and mixed media, we will aim to create a surrealistic visualization.
- Self-Portrait in Blackwork Embroidery and Ink DrawingSun, Aug 12Abrams Claghorn GalleryAug 12, 2018, 10:15 AM – 1:00 PMAbrams Claghorn Gallery, 1251 Solano Ave, Albany, CA 94706, USAWe will face ourselves in the mirror and transfer a self-portrait from vellum to fabric, and begin to explore the disconnect and process of translation between what we put in two dimensions in ink and stitching, and what we see in the mirror.
- PARADE CREATIVE WORKBOOKSun, Jul 29Abrams Claghorn GalleryJul 29, 2018, 10:15 AM – 1:00 PMAbrams Claghorn Gallery, 1251 Solano Ave, Albany, CA 94706, USAPARADE: People In Progress shows a moving walkway of characters parading across the page. Viewers are invited to draw in their books, adding context, expression, and invention through hands-on participation in the creative process. Parade uses surprise and accident to trigger creative participation
- Deconstructing and Reconstructing JewelrySat, Jul 28Handcraft Studio School - Art School inJul 28, 2018, 10:30 AM – 1:00 PMHandcraft Studio School - Art School in , 10368 San Pablo Ave, El Cerrito, CA 94530, USALost an earring and left with a lone ranger? Received a jewelry gift that isn't quite right but has some usable parts? We will reinvent, using your odds and ends, beads, wire, chain and odds and ends provided to make exciting new out of the unused old.
- Deconstructing and Reconstructing JewelrySun, Jul 22Abrams Claghorn GalleryJul 22, 2018, 10:15 AM – 1:00 PMAbrams Claghorn Gallery, 1251 Solano Ave, Albany, CA 94706, USALost an earring and left with a lone ranger? Received a jewelry gift that isn't quite right but has some usable parts? We will reinvent, using your odds and ends, beads, wire, chain and odds and ends provided to make exciting new out of the unused old.
- I See Pattern EverywhereSat, Jul 21Handcraft Studio School - Art School in
- I See Pattern EverywhereSun, Jul 08Abrams Claghorn Gallery
- Hand-stitched Fabric and Acrylic PaintSat, Jul 07Handcraft Studio School - Art School inJul 07, 2018, 10:30 AM – 1:00 PMHandcraft Studio School - Art School in , 10368 San Pablo Ave, El Cerrito, CA 94530, USAHandstitched Fabric and Acrylic Paint (Materials Provided, and participants are welcome to bring their own collection which may best reflect your own preferences) Image by Romare Bearden
- Illustrative CollageSun, Jun 17Abrams Claghorn GalleryJun 17, 2018, 10:15 AM – 1:00 PMAbrams Claghorn Gallery, 1251 Solano Ave, Albany, CA 94706, USAHand stitched Fabric and Acrylic Paint (Materials Provided, and participants are welcome to bring their own collection which may best reflect your own preferences) Artist Mother and Baby, in progress. By Rebecca Meredith
- Cutout Compositions and Wall HangingsSat, Jun 16Wine & Design Oakland/Jack London Square
- Have Your Cake and Paint it, TooSun, Jun 10Wine & Design Oakland/Jack London SquareJun 10, 2018, 4:00 PM – 7:00 PMWine & Design Oakland/Jack London Square, 222 Broadway Suite 3B, Oakland, CA 94607, USAInspired by Thiebaud's paintings, we will have several slices of cake on display for painting, admiring, finding colors in, using the light and jubilant palette style of Thiebaud. After we paint the slice, we'll celebrate with by tasting our inspiration with a glass of vino!
- Color Palette = MoodSun, Jun 03Wine & Design Oakland/Jack London Square